Thursday, April 10, 2008

When has it been too long?

I may have complained in the past about how long my adviser takes to read my drafts, i.e. three months on occasion, but when can I throw in the towel and be extremely upset? But more importantly what can I do besides be really upset and besides calling him everyday to remind him-which I haven't done yet?

My adviser and I met for our weekly Skype meeting this past Tuesday and after I found out he hasn't read the four chapters I've given him I asked if he thought I would make the May 20th deadline. He said "no, everyone is busy in the spring."
Well, I guess it's good to at least know I won't make the May deadline but it really pisses me off.

I have a dissertation outline where I keep track of what needs to be done on each chapter. I gave adviser my intro chapter on 3/12 and reminded him on 3/25.
Chapter 4 he read and gave revisions; it's a really short chapter. I sent it back with a better analysis for the conclusion, and overall a much better chapter on 3/25. I also sent him chapter 6 on 3/25. I gave him chapter 5, which is in publication form (my highest priority for proof reading) on 2/26. When I asked about this chapter he said he thought he read it already. Um, no.
Chapter 2b is ready to give to him but I just keep reading it and making revisions or else I won't have anything to do once he has it. I have one more chapter to write but need to double check some analysis (I think lab tech had a blank problem) on Monday before I get back to writing that chapter. *Did I mention I'm back in dissertation town?

What is really annoying is that everyone is ignoring me. Co-author also has had Chapter 5 since 2/26 and I gave co-adviser Chapter 6 on 3/16. Co-author's wife gave birth to a baby in March so I figure he is pretty busy and when I reminded him of the manuscript he said he'd have it back to me last Friday but, nope. Co-adviser also gave similar excuse, very busy-so sorry. Primary adviser has been planning a conference that will be held on Saturday. I figured after the conference I would be more aggressive in bugging him.

My husband said I should just give my committee my dissertation since they will have revisions anyway. My problem is my confidence in writing. I'm horrible at it and really need someone to proof read it before I'm comfortable letting my committee butcher it. Isn't this what my adviser is for??

When I talk like this I feel like I'm blaming my adviser for not finishing yet when there is no doubt that I could be working harder than I do and I can work more hours than I do. The trouble is that I get discouraged, why finish these last two chapters if I'll have nothing to do once they are done. It depresses me and a depressed Jennie never feels like working. I try to stay positive and tell myself, just work as hard as you can but work hard at what? All I have left to do is write this dissertation and I'd like to submit some of the chapters as manuscript.

PLEASE, PLEASE WILL SOMEONE READ MY WORK.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. I know it's hard when it feels like people are neglecting your heart and soul.

Unbalanced Reaction said...

UGH..How frustrating!!! I'm so sorry. Do you have any coworkers or friends that you can bribe to read some stuff? Then you could just send it off to your committee.

Good luck!!!

Mad Hatter said...

I'm sorry...I know how frustrating that can be. I second UR's suggestion to ask postdocs, other senior grad students, even other faculty with whom you have a good relationship if they would be willing to read it. Is your advisor's stamp of approval absolutely required for you to make the May deadline?

Jennie said...

My adviser doesn't have a large group, no post docs, mostly master's students. My husband has helped in the past but I don't really like taking suggestions from him. I'm too stubborn. I was thinking last night about asking one of my advisers former student who I still keep in touch with (I'm the godparent of her only child). She has read over my CVs and applications before. She is an excellent writer. Also, I could ask his two current master's students to read the chapters of my thesis that are most relevant to their current research.
thanks for the suggestion. I'll try my luck in other "baskets." I guess three wasn't enough.

Also, I would say yes, my advisers stamp of approval is 100% necessary. He was one of the first professors when the dept. started up so I don't feel comfortable going behind his back or even in front of his back in submitting before he says so.

Mad Hatter said...

Those sound like good people to ask. Good luck and hang in there!

Janus Professor said...

I have used two strategies to get my doctoral adviser to read my work (in one case she was 6 months past due).

1. Call her everyday on her work phone with a friendly reminder. If that doesn't work start crying in your next meeting, and exclaim, "I'm never leaving and I really wish my life was stable cause I can't find a job/house, etc. until I know my grad date!" Yes, tears are a weapon, and it is degrading - it works, though.

2. Bake cookies. I baked cookies, and left them with my adviser, along with a manuscript taped to the top. The manuscript was read in one week instead of the usual three months.

ScienceGirl said...

The masters students you mention sound like a good audience - if things don't make sense to them, you will know what needs to be clarified. I have read a number of papers/proposals/dissertations for other students, and when I need quick feedback, that's where I go as well.

Other than that, keep reminding your advisor. I hate this part of the process too, but I haven't found another way... Good luck!

Anonymous said...

wow, this is really frustrating. i hope that you have heard something back by now...