Monday, April 14, 2008

Dissertation town update

Sure enough, right after I wrote my last post co-author sent comments on manuscript. There weren't very many and I'll revisit it after I analyze some of the samples in that manuscript on wed. A few were over detection for a certain analyte and I kept thinking it didn't matter but I've decided this is an important enough analyte to have absolute concentrations.

I gave one of my chapters to one of the master's student I mentioned. I haven't approached the other student yet.

I spoke with co-adviser today and he was like "I told you so" when I mentioned that adviser and I determined I wasn't going to graduate this May. He was friendly enough about it but it pissed me off, so I asked when he was going to read the chapter I gave him. By this week, he says. It's the same chapter that I gave to the masters student.

I have my weekly meeting with adviser tomorrow and I've decided to print out a copy of my dissertation outline. He has seen an electronic copy but I think posting an outline next to his computer would be a good idea, as I mentioned he though he read one of my chapters and gave me comments even though he hadn't.

Overall the visit is going well there are three things I want to share
1) my social life
2) my sleeping arrangements
3) the move and job hunt (to keep this post from getting to long I'll make this a separate post)


1) Saturday I went and watched my old rugby team play here on campus. The lost in the last play of the game!! How sad. Then I did what most rugby players do. I got drunk. Boy it was fun to be with the gals again. I got so stoked and said I was going to both practices this week and would even travel to their away game on saturday. Um, yeah, right. I missed practice today and don't plan on practicing or playing this week. It would be fun but I think I really, really should be working as much as possible. I'm also pretty bitter since one of the new players I've never played with decided it would be a great idea to throw beer on me. On me! On my only sweatshirt and jeans I brought. I was pretty pissed but civil about it and explained it would have not been a big deal except that I don't have any other clothes to wear.
I also decided that cheap beer creates worse hangovers than good beer. Or now that I think about it maybe it was the sips of scotch I had. Have you ever drank scotch and ginger ale? It's my new favorite drink.
The hangover wasn't very disruptive since I spent Sunday with my friend and godchild and didn't plan on working. That was a lot of fun. I also did laundry at her place.

2) This is where I am sleeping
my office home
That the is corner of my office desk and those weights and boxes belong to my office mate. It's actually not a bad deal. After my previous visit staying with friends near by who had moldy rooms or staying far away with mother of godchild I decided that the best place for me is in my office. During my other visits I would spend a night or two here but this trip I'm spending the entire time except for the last week-end where I will stay with mother of godchild.
We have a shower in the building. It's pretty pathetic but it drizzles water out. Unfortunately this week-end the building was without hot water so I had two very cold showers. The one Sunday morning was good for my hangover. Today I went to the gym which is one building over and exercised for 30 mins and took a nice, long, hot shower. I feel much better. My lab has a fridge and a plug in stove and I have an electric tea pot, so I'm set on food and coffee without having to rely on overpriced campus food for every meal.
My office is one of three offices created with temporary walls in a larger room. This is good because I have two lockable doors between me and the hallway. I'm on the third floor and the building should be locked after 10 pm. A women in the office next to me likes to work from mid afternoon to late night or early morning. This is nice because I don't feel so alone but it's not so nice because she likes to chat with people online or listen to loud music. I have my head phones on so I can't hear her too much but once I want to go to sleep I really want her to shut up. If she's still loud at 11pm I'm going to have to ask her to be quite. We are friendly, we go out to dinner and I use to watch her cat so I don't feel bad telling her how I feel. Last night I had to tell her that I could hear everything her and her male friend were saying and that I felt she needed to know because her conversation was about private matters.

Ok-enough news for now. I have 40 mins of work time before bed.

9 comments:

PG said...

Well - you're certainly very devoted to getting your work done. Must admit, I'm having a bit of a hard time following your travels. You live in City A (State A). Your home state is different from where you live. So, State B. Your dissertation town is in State B, but far from town where your family is. You're planning to move to State C? Why are you in your dissertation town?

Sorry - I realize that's probably confusing.

Mad Hatter said...

Sorry to hear you won't be able to graduate in May like you wanted to. Is this for sure now? Will this affect your plans to move back to your home state this summer?

Jennie said...

My moving plans won't be affected too much. We turn our dissertations in electronically now and my adviser has already told me he could do that for me. I guess he did this for students in the past even when it was paper copies.

ScienceGirl said...

Cold showers suck!!

Sorry your graduation is being postponed... I don't think I know a single student whose graduation wasn't postponed, and I can tell it is really frustrating... Hope your co-adviser gets back to you this week as promised.

Anonymous said...

i think it's great you can sleep in your office since there is a shower and stove type thing, i would totally do that too! (not all the time, just in times of extreme work)

Mildred Dale said...

When did you graduate? Well, it is sad to hear that you didn’t graduate on the date that you wanted to. But, the good news is that you were really devoted on completing your dissertation paper. So, how was the dissertation? Seeing how you were doing then, I bet you nailed the defense.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Dissertation writing is nowadays turning out to be most difficult task for the students, good news though there are many sites which can really help you in writing your dissertations , i come across one such website, they have expert writer and can access you best.
"http://writing-dissertation.org/