Friday, April 18, 2008

Tentative Dissertation Defense Date

I took the suggestions from my blog readers (you all) and my co-adviser and e-mailed my committee members asking for their out of town schedules for May and June. This was met with opposition from my primary adviser. He states again and again that people don't set up defense dates until the draft is in the committees hand. This is what my husband did and he ended up graduating later than needed because one of his committee members was out of town for three weeks. I wouldn't mind doing this if I didn't feel like my schedule was so tight. We want to move the first week in July and I'd like to defend before then. In addition, I don't live in dissertation town anymore so I'd like to buy a flight when the flights are cheap and not two weeks before the defense date.

I just got back from my advisers office and he reluctantly agreed that I could ask my committee members to keep free the dates of June 25, 26 and 27. This means that by the end of the first week in June my draft must be to my committee, which is less than two months away!!

I should feel good, right? I don't. I feel like my adviser won't care to meet this deadline and will keep pushing back my defense date. I also feel like I wasn't strong enough when we just met. I pushed the stress onto my husband stating that I didn't want to move the first week in July but my husband wants to (needs to). I shouldn't have said that. I also said that although our lease ends on July 9th we could likely extend it for a week or so. I stated that we'd like to get to home state because it will be easier to find positions once we are there. My husband isn't getting good responses, I mean ANY responses from the people he'd like to work with. I also said that I could probably fly out here to defend from home state but that is not ideal I shouldn't have offered up that scenario. I felt like I went in strong and said this is what needs to be done and when my adviser didn't seem happy about it I waivers and came up with excuses for my strong opinion.

Even though my adviser may not try hard for me to complete a final dissertation draft by June 6th, I will. I can only control my own actions. I also will e-mail my adviser every day just to keep him on track.

I'll post some goals here to keep myself accountable.
-I progressed a lot while here in dissertation town on manuscript "0" from masters thesis. I now have everything I need to resubmit. I will give my resubmission to adviser on April 25th. A week from today.
-I finished collecting some data while in dissertation town for my final chapter (3-S) of my dissertation. I will have all the figures made and a good outline by April 30th.

I'll revisit chapter 3-S once the figures are made but hopefully it can be fully written by May 5th. Then all my chapters will have been written and I'll have five weeks to make revisions, write the abstract and conclusions (think I'm doing kinda a list form of significant conclusions, as each chapter has a detailed conclusion) and reformat.

23 comments:

Mad Hatter said...

Hang in there, Jennie. And don't beat yourself up for not having been as "strong" as you wanted to be. It's hard to do, and you were strong enough to get your advisor to agree to having your committee members hold those dates. Good for you for achieving that!

ScienceWoman said...

Hey, you did a good thing. Just keep up the good progress. In the end, that's all you can really do.

Amanda said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. You stood up to your advisor to get those dates. That's a pretty big step in the right direction. I think it's great that you were able to achieve that! Keep up the good work in this direction!

Anonymous said...

i'm glad that you have some tentative dates planned at least, and i really hope that your advisor will stick to his word. good luck with everything...

Buy Dissertation said...

Whenever i see the post like your's i feel that there are still helpful people who share information for the help of others, it must be helpful for other's. thanx and good job.

wound bandages said...

I have been a regular visitor of this site and I love reading blogs posted here. They are truly very well written, precise and to the point. Thanks.

Moleskin said...

Glad to be visiting your blog again, I have been away since months from the internet. I just love reading these types of top quality blogs. Thanks for sharing.

incontinence products said...

I really admire the author's contribution to this blog. He has done a fabulous job in putting this article together. Thanks for sharing.

foley catheter said...

It gives me great pleasure to see author's coming up with some great topics and sharing with us through their blogs. I am really thankful to them for their efforts. Keep up the good work.

Dissertation Writing said...

I am glad to visit your blog again. I love to read these types of topics. I am thankful to you for this.

bard catheters said...

I feel delighted to see people sharing quite profitable information on the internet through their blogs. This site has some of the best blogs I have ever come across. Thanks for sharing.

Susan Bell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
incontinence supplies said...

I don't have words to describe my likeness for this blog. Amazing work indeed. Very well written. Keep up the good work.

Westin hotel Denver co said...

Good article, read with great interest. It's a cool blog..... Thanks so much for the post, pretty helpful information.

cheap hotels in san antonio said...

Very useful material, and i Love it very much. Thanks for posting this blog...

assistance with master's dissertation said...

I am extremely delighted to be on this site reading some top quality stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Cool Article! My spouse and i had been simply just debating that there's a whole lot absolutely wrong details at this matter and also you precisely replaced the belief. Many thanks for a marvelous contribute.Send Gifts To Pakistan

Unknown said...

A very informative article, today students find very difficulties writing their dissertations, there are many sites which help students in such issues, i come across one such site, i would like to share it with your readers, i highly recommend this site, they have expert writers.

http://writing-dissertation.org/


Dissertation writing

Theresa Lafferty said...

So, what happened to your thesis defense, Jennie? I think a lot of students really get nervous when the day their thesis would be defended. The things they work hard for like thesis abstracts and the whole paper would be given its verdict. Anyway, I hope everything went well with your paper.

asif said...

Bakisto Cakes for birthday and wedding
Bakisto Cakes in Lahore Pakistan. Order online cakes in Lahore, online birthday cake delivery in Lahore, Anniversary Cakes, Wedding Cakes https://bakisto.pk/

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for posting this blog its really interesting.
best bakery in lahore

pkgift007 said...

I feel my research is almost completed. happy to see that.Thanks to share this brilliant matter.

send a gift to pakistan

comfort mom said...

what happened to your thesis defense, Jennie? I think a lot of students really get nervous when the day their thesis would be defended.

best baby bottle nipples