Thursday, April 17, 2008

Buy nothing challenge

I had almost forgotten about my buy nothing challenge.

However, all I have bought since arriving in dissertation town is food. Some has been on campus food, which is packaged in way too much plastic (they put your hot food in plastic containers! I e-mailed the enviro club on campus to complain and I guess they are focusing their current efforts on removing plastic drink bottles), but a nice friend drove me to the grocery store and I got to buy real food. My lab has a full fridge, microwave, toaster and a plug in stove. I've been making a lot of pasta w/veggies. All of my consumed coffee has been in my own cup, even at the dept. seminar where the coffee is free and everyone uses a disposable cup. In fact, I passed up going to Starbucks this morning since I didn't bring my cup and because I spent too much money on beer this Tuesday.

I'm going to spend the week-end with my godson's family. My friend really likes to shop so hopefully she won't want to go to the outlets or anything, although I'm up for the challenge. She just went to this huge special baby sale. I want to call it a baby conference but I can't think of the word, hm. It's like a once a year kind of thing in a big auditorium. I'm pretty sure she got all she needed from the sale and won't want to shop this week-end.

It will be nice to have a real bed with a shower near by for Fri, Sat. and Sun night. I leave Monday evening. I'll be working some at her place as well but I have so much to do! I can't believe my trip is almost over.

No comments: