Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What have you done with my adviser

Yesterday I had my weekly meeting with my adviser. I called him because it seemed he didn't get my e-mail on Monday. I hate checking/sending e-mail through the web but can't get lotus notes to download on my laptop. Anyway we had a phone meeting instead of skype.
If you don't remember, the last meeting with my adviser I spoke my mind and didn't seem to get my point across and my adviser said finishing my dissertation (or maybe just this resubmit) is like making fine wine.
Well, this same person yesterday told me that it shouldn't be a problem to graduate by May. Wow. Maybe my sticking up for myself helped? And maybe the fact that I told him how awesome I was at the conference helped. His simple statement has made me regret all the mean thoughts I've had towards him in the last year. He also said that this resubmit will be the most difficult manuscript to write. It is on a subject that is well established and we are saying HEY try evaluating this subject in a brand new way. The other 3-4 manuscripts I'm writing are on a different subject, one that only began in 1998 and is recently still gaining understanding and incite, thus my papers will be a large contribution to the field. It is this subject that I presented at the recent meeting where everyone said "oh you are Jennie."

So I'd like to retract everything I've said previously about adviser that was negative and say, "my adviser is great!"
let's see what I say next week :)

On another note, I haven't gotten very much work done this week, between being sick and now being bloated I don't feel like working. I did call a lab today since we are confused about the data they sent us (for the resubmit). They were going to check the lab notes about the dilution factor. And I pretty much am still waiting on bits and pieces for the other manuscripts so I don't feel too guilty about slacking off since there isn't a whole lot to do. I could probably look up journal articles and reread my intro for the dissertation.
I'm going to pick up my sister from school today. She has a half day, and she's in 6th grade if I haven't mentioned this already. We are going to do some xmas shopping, I have yet to buy one present, well maybe one, and then we are going to make granola bars. These will be my home made present this year. I've decided I'm only buying real presents for family under 18 and everyone else gets a gift card and/or granola bars. Although I'll likely buy something for my mom's car, brakes or tires.
I just don't feel like I see my close friends enough to know what they want/need. It's sad. But I'm really just happy to see them and hopefully if I stop buying things for them they will stop buying things for me. Last year my husband got a power drill from my best friends husband. Um, we already have one. Needless to say we re-gifted it. I've always been a fan of this and usually call it recycling.

2 comments:

ruchi said...

I think re-gifting is just fine especially when the gift is nice like a power tool. It's not like you regifted something totally not useful like an ashtray to a non-smoker. :)

ScienceGirl said...

I hope you get many more "oh you are Jennie" moments!

And it must be crazy to have a sister in 6th grade!