Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Graduate Student-0==Distinguished Professor-Infinity

Yep, the adviser won the argument again. The fact is that I think he’s pretty meager I just have a bad time arguing my point because I’m not 100% confident that I’m correct, and my adviser makes such good points.

Me: I’d really like to graduate soon
Him: No need to rush, no one is going to care how long it took you, and how long have you been here?
Me: Almost 6 years
Him: Well it takes most students 7 years when they get their masters along the way

I know think I set him up to make up an arbitrary number after he heard how long I’ve been here

Me: I think the paper is ready to resubmit
Him: I think it needs more figures
Me: The reviews said we had too many figures and tables
Him:Well we can’t sacrifice the good of the paper for an arbitrary figure number, besides most people just glance through the paper and look at the figures. Even if someone decides they don’t like your model you have so much data here, more than most (any) other manuscripts on this nature. The papers good for that, so focus on that more.
Me: True

Me: I’m loosing my motivation and feel like nothing has been accomplished this past year
Him: What are you talking about? You collected all that marvelous data that professor at other university said was great and you got the almost invited talk at big conference and instead of submitting a short communication coauthor said WOW this is great data make a full publication
Me: Yeah, I guess
Me: I want to graduate
Him: These things take time don’t rush we are making fine wine here
Me: Well maybe you have time for fine wine but I’m happy with cheap wine. I’m not trying to be hasty or lazy I would just like to graduate
Him:In good time, in good time. . . .


We also discussed the weather, the holiday party I missed, my talk for big conference (he won’t be there) and my next visit back to dissertation town.

My adviser said he was happy with my progress and my writing is getting better (I asked him about it). He loves to tell examples of really famous people who get crappy reviews and students who complain about how long things are taking but then get big awards for papers.

I feel like I got my point across, and that my point is wrong. But I’m happy I got it off my chest. My hopes for a May graduation are down the drain yet I’m still going to keep trucking along and see how things go.

I’m happy my adviser had actually read the paper before the meeting. I should have said that to him. We will meet online again after the big conference next week and I foresee the paper resubmitted this year. He said he’d like to see it again before I resubmit but finals are the week of the 17th so hopefully now that he’s heard my side of the story he’ll be efficient and give me feedback quickly.

GOAL: E-mail adviser revised version of manuscript by Dec9th before I fly to conference state. I think this is a reasonable goal, 3 or so days.

2 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

Oh man, what a bummer that you feel like he won. I was rooting for you.

Don't get down about it. It may be a simple matter of your advisor thinking you need to budget more time for the work that's left. It may have nothing to do with your capacity to do a bang up job on your papers. You can do it!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry! I feel like I have similar talks with my advisor. The difference is that he says he wants me to graduate soon, too. In the same breath as suggesting new experiments.

I've heard a lot of people (administrators even) say that the key to getting your advisor to let you leave is having another job lined up. Then they can't say, "Oh, well, no need to rush," because there >is< a need.

In other news, tag!