Saturday, December 15, 2007

Conference and Catch Up

I'm having such a wonderful time on the west coast.
The conference went well. I think I could have missed out on Monday and Tuesday besides the fun lunches. Wed. was a great poster session and Thursday was my oral session. Oh and wed. night about 15 people from my session all went to dinner. It was good time. What I found really cool was that people said "oh you are Jennie, you are the one who measured that really cool piece of science." I also think my talk went well and I had a great conversation after the oral session to help someone sort out the details of his new project and we are going to keep in touch. This man also asked me several times during our conversation when I was going to graduate. I found this strange. He ended our conversation with this question again so I asked if he was hiring. He said no but that I should tell the organizers of the session so they could keep their ears open for me.
Strange. . .
My husband said his poster session went really well and some big names came by and liked what he had done.
Oh and this conferences does free beer everyday. Great fun.

Thursday night my husband and I drove to his home town, where we met as undergrads, less than two hours from conference town. Friday we had breakfast with his dad, went for a run, had lunch with his mom, soaked in a hot tub and sauna then hung out with his mom some more. I woke up this day with a sore throat and even though we tried to kill it in the sauna I was feeling pretty bad by the time we got to his mom's house. Being the hippy that she is she had lots of natural supplements to give me. I took all that I could and passed on dinner with a friend in favor of passing out around 8pm.
I had hoped that my nasal problems all week were due to our very dusty accommodations at husband's grandma's house but it didn't seem so.
I'm feeling much better today, go hippy mother in law. My throat has gone from, it hurts to swallow, to just an annoying feeling. I was able to run around today shopping with my mom and sister and we saw Alvin and the Chipmunks. It was cute. Then we finished decorating the Christmas tree and now my sister and I are just surfing on our laptops.
My husband went back to the Midwest this morning and just called me even though his flight landed 5 hours ago and I asked him to call me when he got there so that I knew he wasn't dead, ect. He didn't remember this promise, of course. He went to his groups holiday party once he arrived and then called after he got my message.
The plan is for me to stay here in this beautiful, warm(ish) beach town and work this week. My husband will join me again this week-end and we will commence crazy-see-everyone holiday week-end. Then we will have until Jan 1st. to relax and visit.

I love this time of year it always takes me from some cold, miserable place to a happy, sunny place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

free beer? sounds like a fun conference! and yay for a great pres, it sounds like that guy was just impressed.

ScienceGirl said...

Oh yes, I remember reading this one and being a little jealous of you being in a beautiful beach town - sounds lovely!