Friday, January 4, 2008

Confession

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but I have an internet addiction. Since the move from East coast to Midwest I've been a little depressed (actually I think this started in the east) and felt that my projects were slowing down and although there was much to get done that wasn't a lot "to do". So I spent a lot of time watching online TV, checking my e-mail and pretty much anything else that I could do online to avoid figuring out what work I should be doing.

I broke down sometime in November and made this confession to my husband. It involved a lot of involuntary crying, something I don't do very often, and I think this startled/scared my husband.
Being the problem solver that he is he has limited my internet access. The modem is in his office and I'm on wifi so he has allotted the times between 1:15-2:30pm, 6:16-8pm and something like midnight to 7am. I can't seem to wake up early enough to take advantage of the morning one.

Honestly at first I went through with drawls, and sometimes I still do but my productivity has soared, but I have a different point in posting this. I am really enjoying having a blog and reading blogs. I feel like I'm becoming "friends" with some fellow bloggers, but since I have only a limited time on the internet and need to check e-mails, looks up manuscripts and other random things I write on my to-do-internet list for the day I have been falling behind in my blog reading and my blog writing. This makes me feel like I am not being a good friend, and I miss the connection I get from reading blogs and making comments.
So, I guess to get to the point, I wanted to let everyone know why I'm sort of mia and let you all know I still enjoy the blogsphere and I miss you all.
Hopefully I can start waking up when my husband does at 6am and make the morning session my blog time . . . . . but that is really early . . .

6 comments:

Mad Hatter said...

I can totally see how moving to a new place away from friends and family, and working at home by yourself, can be hard. And finishing up a PhD is stressful enough by itself!

Have you considered joining some local groups, such as a gym, book club, or a volunteer organization? It might help to make some new friends you can hang out with.

In any case, we all balance our "real" lives with our e-lives, so I don't think you need to worry about not blogging or commenting as often. Just post when you can--we'll all still be here.

BTW, my husband, who leaves for work at 5:30am everyday, has been trying to convert me into a morning person for almost a decade. Hasn't worked yet! :-)

EcoGeoFemme said...

we miss you too. But everybody goes through periods when some things take a backseat to others. Don't sweat it!

Jennie said...

Thanks.
mad hatter: I've gone to fitness classes and the gym at the community rec. center but I like to go between 9-noon and most of the people I see there are really old or stay at home moms. I'm not trying to discriminate here but I don't seem to have much in common with these demographics. I keep hoping to go to an evening fitness class but that is when my husband is home and I like to spend time with him. I'm going to the swim center today but I think I will find it hard to be open and friendly when half naked.

Unbalanced Reaction said...

I sometimes wish I could turn the internet on and off at work, too! Unfortunately, The Boss needs us to be on email/AIM all the time. ;)

Anonymous said...

that *is* really early, i don;t blame you. i;m glad you're blogging too. i wanted to comment on your Christmas post about how i agree, etc, but then things happened and i haven't been on in awhile. anyway, just wanted to wish you continued success on your productivity!

ScienceGirl said...

I love your husband's approach to the problem :) I use the same approach on my husband (he's obsessive-compulsive about food, sweets in particular, so I hide them).