Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Therapy

I should have done a follow up post many weeks ago but have been putting if off. Well I'm going to put it off again. I have another therapy session today and I'll post later this week (hopefully) about how it's going.

In general, I hate talking about my feelings so therapy is pretty lame but I'm sure it will help in the long run and positive it won't help in the short term-these things take time.

The therapist I ended up choosing is well, old, but she seems sweet and nice and I'm comfortable talking with her but I keep wondering if it would be better to get someone who might understand me more-but then I think of all her experience and how that might be helpful, and I think about having to do the start up appointments with an entirely new person and that well, sounds lame.

2 comments:

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

I'm beginning to think that as scientists we all have a hard time talking about feelings. I think it's because they're hard to objectively quantify. I mean, it's difficult to say that "I feel two-thirds sad at an intensity of 5 out of 10 and one-third apprehensive at an intensity of...." And they're hard to troubleshoot. You can't just change one variable at a time until you find the solution. Or maybe that's just me.

In my own experience, finding someone I feel comfortable with is the hardest bit. I've had a harder time talking to someone who I don't feel comfortable talking to at all. I hope that the therapy is going well for you so far :-)

Geomom said...

I tried therapy once several years ago. I was very reluctant to enter into therapy--but our marriage counselor thought we were too messed up to work on our marriage until we underwent individual therapy (what terrible advice to give to people trying to save their marriage). Because we're in a University town, and my husband works at a University, our insurance had us see student therapists "in-training". The woman I was assigned to was not good. I told her right off the bat I was uncomfortable being in therapy, and I don't like talking to strangers about my feelings. She hardly ever asked me any questions which might have prompted me to talk. So I just complained about minor, every-day annoyances. After 3 or 4 sessions she announced she was going to ask me fewer questions. At that point, she hadn't even asked me about my parents or childhood or anything of significance. I told her I was going to stop seeing her and spend my therapy money on a sitter so I could finish my thesis.

Trying to find a good therapist is the hardest part. It's hard to ask people for recommendations for good therapists. Young and inexperienced was definitely no good for me. Hopefully older=more insightful and more helpful to you.