Saturday, October 4, 2008

I didn't negotiate

I have a job offer and I am taking it.

Thursday I went back to the consulting company-that I had two interviews with-and we talked about the job description, what I can do and what I will learn to do, and we glossed over the salary part.

This past week I was pulling my hair out about how to negotiate. I don't feel very prepared for this job as a consultant. I'm excited about the company because they take on all sorts of hydrology projects, yet my training and experience is very narrow. This doesn't mean that I don't have the confidence to do the job I just didn't feel like I had very many bargaining chips. In addition, when I went to salary.com and looked up jobs it was difficult to find one job title that best fit the position and the salary ranges varied greatly between job titles. Second, on salary.com, all of these positions I was looking at required a Bachelors degree plus some level of experience with salaries increasing with increasing experience. I was finding it difficult to directly relate my graduate work to work experience. But after much thinking and making excel spreadsheets with my qualifications and the qualifications of the job description I came up with a yearly figure and calculated the hourly wage. The yearly figure was 15K less than what a retired professor told me he thought I was worth, after only looking at my resume, but I felt my figure reflected my lack of real work experience and I figured if I picked up on the job quick I would ask for a raise.

So now you are asking yourself, "Jennie, after all this work you still didn't negotiate." I sadly say yes, but this is because I was offered 3K per year more than I was going to ask for! I never thought about this option and was taken aback and merely replied, "that sounds fair" and the conversation quickly moved on. In once aspect I was happy with the offer but on the other hand I feel that I may have looked weak since I'm guessing they expected me to negotiate. I also feel that I was likely offered less than the company thought I was worth and should have still negotiated. And I know that negotiating my first salary is important along my career path because it will affect my bonuses and raises for the rest of my life. But the conversation leading up to the salary offer talked about all the parts of the job I didn't have experience with, so again I was made to feel that I didn't have a lot of work experience needed for the position.

I still have mixed feelings about how what I should have done.

Thursday when I got back from the consulting company I received an e-mail about the lab manager position stating that someone else was offered the position since they had more biology experience. Thank God. I really didn't want to have to accept the position and I'm glad the group I use to work with found the right person for the position.

In this market I'm happy to have the opportunity to work at the consulting firm. Since I contacted this company even though they weren't hiring they are only able to offer me 30hr weeks to start. Looks like my first day will be around Oct. 20.

I'm also still applying for the Post-doc position, application due Nov.15. I have a good outline written but no actual text yet. Yikes! I've been busy with the special journal articles that are due Nov. 4th. Ph.D. adviser gave back comments on one of them and that day I sent him the other one I was working on. I think this first one is pretty close to completion, just a few loose ends to strengthen. I want to make sure Ph.D. adviser gives me back his comments on the second paper by mid month so I can clean it up by the deadline. Ok, time to kick back into writing mode.

11 comments:

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Congrats! Getting more than you expected is a welcome surprise, I'm sure. So what if you didn't negotiate? You've worked hard, and now you have a job to be proud of!

Anonymous said...

I've only had one job where I was offered much more than I was expecting. Then I had one job that barely disclosed my salary before asking me to sign on the dotted line, and another job where I felt like I needed to negotiate. I think it really depends on the employer. However, if in the case of the 2nd employer I mentioned, run away. as. fast. as. you. can.

EcoGeoFemme said...

Congratulations! What a refief to have a job. I hope you really enjoy it.

I think that as long as you are happy with the salary, you shouldn't beat yourself up about not asking for more.

Amanda said...

Congrats on the job offer! It must be a great relief! I wouldn't beat yourself up too much for not negotiating. I agree with EGF, as long as you're happy, don't worry about it :-)

ScienceGirl said...

Wow! Congrats! I can't wait to hear about your new job once you start!

P.S. If you are interested, I've heard good things about this book.

Anonymous said...

congratulations all the same!! you have a job and that is wonderful!! i hope it's close to your house.

Jennie said...

Thank you for all the encouraging comments.
ScienceGirl, I have read that book-which is one of the reasons why I feel lame for not negotiating.
JustMe-I have to work two days a week in a town 75miles away but I can stay the night at my husband's grandma's house to reduce the commute. The office I'm stationed out of is 2 miles away but my training has to occur in the main office. I will also have field work to do in various places.
Looks like my adventure will start around Oct. 20th. I'll keep everyone updated.

microbiologist xx said...

Congratulations!
I also wanted to say (as others have) that you should not feel bad about a lack of negotiations between you and your new employer. Like with everything else, these skills take time to develop and use. My husband (although not in science) had a very difficult time negotiating when he started in his field despite the fact that everyone said he should ask for higher salary and negotiate more vacation time, etc. At the time he just didn't feel comfortable and like you, felt that he didn't really have much to bargain with. Now (10 yrs later) he asks for everything he wants and usually gets it. So my feeling is that this too will come with time. :)
Good luck with your new job.

Psych Post Doc said...

Congratulations!

I had such a hard time negotiating for my position at ANJ, they gave me what I asked for but I agonized over what to ask for and how to ask for it.

They gave you more than you expected, you'll be fine.

Silver Fox said...

This sounds like a very interesting job, and I wouldn't worry about not negotiating, especially since you got more than you were thinking of! If I understand right, it's hydrology of some sort? I work as a consultant in another geo-type field - if you need some input sometime, go ahead and contact me. (Saw your comment on stove over at EGF's place. Am a new reader of your blog!)

iklan baris gratis said...

Your experience is so awesome, thank you for sharing it with us.