Friday, September 12, 2008

Jobs and Jobs

I just got off a phone interview and I wore my pajamas like Psych Post Doc.

This was for a lab manager position working with the group I worked with during and for a year after my undergrad. I would love a lab manager position. My only qualm is that half of this position would be learning a new field, one I'm not sure I'd like to work in. Can I say DNA sequencing? The other half would still be different from my graduate work but would be fun and exciting and similar to the work I did with the group before. The lab manager position is two years with likely extension but maybe not a permanent position. The lab manager would be encourage to write their own funding and come up with proposals that include their interests and the interests of the group.
I guess I'll have to wait and see if I'm offered the position.

==Also I'm curious if it was ok that I was asked where I lived (my cv has my address) and what my husband did. The interviewer then assumed I would move closer to the job if offered it. So then we had to talk about commuting and what hours I would be expected to be there. This was something I wanted to wait and talk about if offered the position. The job is about an hour commute, which I have done before and found an ok process with a carpool group.
---------------------------
I completed two interviews with a consulting company who told me they will be sending me a formal offer. I am impressed with their work and would enjoy working with this group of people until . . . . I was told most of my job would be writing. Argh I hate writing. Initially I would be involved in a lot of in field work. As an employees hourly wage increases their time is best spent in the office, verses driving to the field site.
For the first 6 months to a year I would be part time in their main office (75 miles away) and part time in their local office (1 mile away). Then full time in local office. I don't mind working at main office to learn the trade and I can stay with my husband's grandma who lives 3 miles from main office who would enjoy the company. Then I would only drive there and back once a week.
(by the way this company was not advertising a position but I just kept e-mailing until they gave me an interview)
==During the first interview we also talked about my husband and my hobbies. I'm a very open and honest person and I'm not sure what is considered private and personal for an interview. It's only afterward that I think-should I have said that?
----------------------------
So this is exciting two possible jobs to choose from. But wait! There is a local consulting firm that is interested in hiring me part time for a research position but can't interview me until the State Budget passes.
I just got referred to another local consulting company that is a registered women-owned business that does some exciting and interesting work.
I still want to apply for the post-doc position. Deadline Nov. 15th, notification in March, start date of Oct-09 or March-10. I've read that around 100 applications are received and 12-20 are accepted. We aren't all applying for the same position. There are around 45 different projects to apply for.

My husband is telling me to just accept one of these jobs but I'm really interested in learning what else there is out there before I make a decision. Although the other part of me is worried that if I wait too long the jobs will disappear.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow! They all look like fun jobs (with their pros and cons). I don't know what i'd do if I were you. But at least you know that lots of employers like you :-)

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Yeah, they shouldn't ask you about martial status, but if you are supplying the info.... As for hobbies, it's likely just a way for them to get you more relaxed during the interview. As long as you didn't reveal a hidden passion for pole dancing or midnight thievery, I'm sure you did just fine. :)

Good luck!

Psych Post Doc said...

You do know that I didn't get the job for which I interviewed in my PJ's right? ;)

It sounds like you're going to have some options! That's fantastic. I think you should not worry about which job you'll pick until you have the offers in hand.

In the mean time, think about what you REALLY want to do. Go with your gut. It sounds like you could even take one of the consulting jobs or even the lab manager job and then see what happens with the post doc, perhaps putting it off for a bit even if you get it.

I hope you find your dream job.

Jennie said...

thanks for the support. I should mention that the lab manager position is at the same location as the post doc position. So I wouldn't want to quit the lab manager position part way through the contract and then have to see these people every day. The main adviser on the post doc is two doors down from the "boss" of the lab manager position.

Psych, they must have know you were in your pjs!!

I do have some sole searching to do so I can decide what my "dream job" is.
I should go sit by the ocean and think about it.

ScienceGirl said...

It's great that you have so many options! Good luck picking the one that will suit you best right now.

PG said...

Yeah - they shouldn't ask about your husband's work. It's not relevant. I tend to prefer to play my cards close.

Good to see you with all of these job opportunities. I'm worried about getting stuck in a writing position too. Some writing is fine - but I don't want to spend more than 50-60% of my time writing.

Anonymous said...

best of luck on the jobs!!!