Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Revisions

The final draft of my dissertation is due on Aug. 15. I was hoping to have it finished by Aug. 1 but minus a miracle I'm guessing that won't happen. So my new goal is Aug. 6. I only have to give it a special name, burn it to a CD and FedEx it overnight to the East Coast. Of course this is once I'm finished with corrections. I talked with the grad school when I was there last and was told a few formatting mistakes I had. I'm guessing that there will be no further formatting mistakes and it will be ready for submission. But I do want to give myself a few days before the deadline in case I need to mail another copy.

So why haven't I finished the revisions yet? Come on, it's been a month since I defended. Well, I've been busy. I resubmitted a manuscript, which seemed more important. I found a place to live, and will move in on Aug. 1. Less importantly I've visited with family and friends, went to a wedding, went camping and have been enjoying the west coast sun with lots of outside activities.

All I need to do is beef up the conclusion sections of my chapters but we all know how much I LOVE to write. So I sit and look at my dissertation and then decide to look at job ads instead.

I think that a conclusion should not just summarize the results but the discussion section ties my research with other studies so then what should go in the conclusions? Something about the big picture or larger implications. Well maybe my studies aren't that exciting because I can't think of what to write.

So . . .
Aug. 1 Move into new place
Aug. 5 Take mom to hospital for back surgery (likely in the hospital for one day)
Aug. 6 Mail away dissertation (cross fingers)
Aug. 15 No longer a student (if I get my dissertation turned in)

6 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

You can do it! Won't it feel so good?

One suggestion for the conclusions: I like it when the conclusions summarize the main, big picture point of the paper and then tie it in with potential future work. This is what we found and this is where it could go. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Anonymous said...

Looks like an exciting August. Good luck with the move and the revisions!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a lot of stuff, good luck with everything and best wishes for your mom's surgery!

ScienceGirl said...

That's quite a list, but I am sure you can do it!! Sending some good wishes your way.

Amanda said...

Just wanted to send good (finishing) vibes your way!

Mad Hatter said...

I agree that last bit of work can be the hardest to finish. But you can promise yourself a nice reward when you get it done! :-)