Saturday, March 22, 2008

Under Attack

I recently read the article “Wack Attack: giving the digital finger to blog bandits” by Jaclyn Friedman in Bitch* Magazine, Issue.39, and wanted to share a little about it. I was appalled by the threats and hate e-mails women (read feminist) bloggers were receiving. It is scary, but this article is not about being scared-because that is the desired outcome from those who harass. No, this article is about being prepared and about creating a network.

These are the four principles that the article ended on

1. Don’t silence yourself
The more women who insist on being heard online, the better place the web will be for feminist voices.
2. We must change the culture together
Hold offending sites accountable for the culture they create. Report the identities of attackers to authorities whenever possible and shame them online whenever practical. Call on the men who claim to be our allies to do this work alongside us.
3. The best defense is good tech
For example, host your photos separate from your blog.
4. Better together
Blog as a group

Most of the blogs I read and the bloggers that come to my site aren’t positing seriously controversial material, yet, I though it prudent to make my readers aware that harassment can happen on the internet; although I’m sure most of you are aware of this, it’s good to be reminded.

*On a side note, if you aren’t familiar with this magazine I suggest you pick up a copy and see how you like it. I found their book, BITCHfest, when I needed reading material for a train ride about a year ago and promptly signed up to get their quarterly magazine. Most of the articles resonate with how I feel as a feminist but it’s also interesting to read feminist views/issues which aren’t on my radar screen. I also like at the end of each issue they review music and books. I’ve found some really good reads this way.

7 comments:

ScienceGirl said...

Thanks for the heads up and the link!

Mad Hatter said...

What ScienceGirl said!

Also, we may not technically blog as a group, but we do have a great group of individual bloggers to watch each others' backs. :-)

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Good post! I haven't had any problems, but I'm sure more visible bloggers have. Hopefully we can all stick together, if any problems come up, as mad hatter suggested! ;)

PG said...

Why would hosting your photos separate from your blog be important? Or, is this specific to bloggers wbo post pictures of themselves?

Jennie said...

While pictures of yourself and others can be used by harassers any pictures on your site can make you vulnerable to what is called "image raep." This is a method use to take down a website, where a program is used to automatically reload any and all images on the site over and over until the monthly bandwidth for that site is used up and the site host is forced to take it down.

I wish the article was posted online. There are a lot of details I didn't cover. I'll write to Bitch Mag. and see about making it available.

ruchi said...

I assume that if you are using the blogger server for your blog that isn't an issue?

Jennie said...

arduous-I don't know. I'll look into it.