Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Comments

Now I know that if I want lots of comments all I have to do is talk about the injustice of women! We went back last night to complete our taxes and again he forgot I was the taxpayer. He kinda laughed and said oh right. He apologized in that cynical kind of way so I asked again why he always put the male first. "Does it make a difference?" I ask. He said that they are trained to do it that way and that if I had a female tax preparer they would also put the male as taxpayer. Hm, sounds like I need to do some armchair activism and write H&R Block a letter.

My husband and I discussed the event later and he said I should give the guy 4's when HR calls about the service. Our tax preparer, Jay, said we should get a phone call about how his service was and that the only number that did him any good was a 4. A four out of four on multiple choice questions. I told my husband that I would evaluate each question accurately. Then he mumbled something about how I was letting this taxpayer business get the best of my and he called me a bitch. OH-smack! I was pretty pissed about that and had to point out that I was the one getting the phone call because it was I who made the appointment and without me my husband likely wouldn't do his taxes at all. And I don't see how being honest makes me a bitch.
It was a bad night for us.

5 comments:

Janus Professor said...

Name calling is low. Whatever he chooses to call you, a relationship shouldn't go there.

I would be pissed at the tax man, too. We are looking for a house and my husband's name is listed first on every single document. I haven't put up a fight, but I make sure that my name is right there on the same document.

ScienceGirl said...

My husband too thinks I get too worked up about those things, but he is starting to see that I am not doing it to be a bitch (we have many discussions on the matter). I hope yours will come around too.

Janus Professor said...

I just remembered a similar sexist occasion, but this time, my husband agreed with me.

I was looking for a real estate agent, and the agent asked me a question I couldn't answer. She said, "Well don't worry about - your husband probably knows the answer." O, I was so mad, that I chose to work with someone else!

Mad Hatter said...

I'm with Janus Professor. Name-calling is simply unacceptable.

The other thing that's unacceptable was Jay's comment about how you should give him 4's. That would be like a waiter telling me at the end of my meal that the only tip that would do him any good is a 30% one. If it were me, I'd ding Jay in the evals for being sexist and for being a totally unprofessional.

EcoGeoFemme said...

EGM also sometimes thinks my feminism stuff is misdirected. I get really mad. When the next instance of sexism occurs, he reminds me he's a feminist too. This usually does not go over well. FWIW, I would be pretty irritated by the tax man too and would NOT give him 4s. No 4s for you!