Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Samples

Ok, so I’m really upset but can’t help but partially blame myself. Here is the deal (I may give some things away about what I study but oh well). I needed samples analyzed for organic nitrogen but we can only do inorganic nitrogen in my department. We found a contract lab near by that another student had used in the past. We called and told them what we had and what we needed done and they even said that 50mL would be enough sample even though the usually require more. Ok the lab chief knows about us let’s get things ready and send out the samples. Below is a portion of their fancy Chain of Custody report. As you can see there is only 10 lines. Look at this image before you read on and tell me how many samples you think I’ve sent them for analysis and remember that we spoke with the lab chief.

Ok. Did you really think about it and not just skip down to cheat?

What number did you come up with? Was it four or was it twenty seven. I’m pretty sure those are the only two possible answers but again I thought there was only one answer to this question. I guess it would also help to open the box and see twenty seven 50mL vials clearly labeled. What are on these labels? Well each individual vial has a different identifier, so for example, you wouldn’t see 13 vials that say “W40-W52”. Nope you’d see W40,W41,W42,W43,W44,W45,W46,W47,W48,W49,W50,W51 and W52.

I always thought “-“ was universal for through. If I had written W40 through W52 maybe there still would have been the same confusion.

Before I rant on too far I should say that when the data finally came back to me and I was expecting 27 values I received four. Hm, I thought that’s strange let me e-mail the lab chief and wait during the long holiday week-end for an answer. Her answer was that the samples W40 THROUGH W52 were compiled into one sample and that samples W70 THROUGH W81 were also compiled into one sample. She said something like, “the technicians were confused and thought I wanted compiled samples so just send us some more sample and they will run them.” THAT WAS THE LAST OF MY SAMPLES WHICH IS WHY WE ONLY SENT YOU 50 mL.

Now I keep kicking myself because I wasn’t clear enough and I didn’t attach a separate sheet listing every sample. I send my samples out to a few different labs and they all ask to have things written like this, for example, 1-100, instead of writing out 100 numbers. And their stupid little sheet only had room for 10 sample but I had 27. And I thought well it says number of bottles here so that can’t be confusing. And we talked to the lab chief. And we never said compile the samples. E-mail me if you are confused.

You think, “I’ve sent out hundreds of samples before. This is so easy.”

It always seems to happen when it’s the last of something. So instead of 27 values I have two usable ones. I haven’t gotten an invoice yet but we sure as hell aren’t paying them anything. Oh, and my response to the lab chief. “This is horrible news. We don’t have any more sample.” That was all I could muster. I was in such shock.

**update. I spoke with my adviser today and he is also amazed that the lab made this mistake. tisk, tisk

1 comment:

EcoGeoFemme said...

I agree. I was a little confused when I looked at the sheet. seeing 27 bottles would have cleared it right up though!And I would never, ever, ever combine contents of individually labeled containers without explicit permission. And I would never through anything away.

What an enormous bummer for you. suck.