Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I'm the crazy bag lady

I hate going to the really close big box grocery store near my house. I go to that big box store vs. the little box store because they have a bigger organic section, and by bigger I mean they have an aisle and a frozen section. The nice big box organic store is a 20 min drive and my list today were items I couldn't find there on Friday plus some new things to the list. A small co-opt with only bulk items is my dream store augmented by a local, organic farmers market but another town another life. . .
I do appreciate the big box organic selection, although really no produce is organic, but they even have organic wine and beer (and vodka), really cool. And so many things were on sale.
Anyway, it's just a little depressing when you think about how far all these items have traveled so I can eat them and I get depressed when I see the fat people buying mayonnaise. And I get depressed when I think about how most of the people in this store choose items based on cost and not quality. Think of all the people on Thursday who will be eating twice as many calories as there bodies need and way too many preservatives. But I digress, my main reason for not liking to go to this big box store is the funny attitude I always get about bringing my own bags, and even though my bags are there they love to start putting things in plastic and then act all forgetful when I remind them. I really just want to preach about how bad plastic is, but I just smile and say "I don't like plastic." My bags are big sturdy canvas bags, fill them up!! I usually just go to the self check out but was feeling particularly lazy. I even drove to the store instead of walking or biking because I wanted to buy lots of said organic beer and wine.

2 comments:

ScienceGirl said...

"I get depressed when I see the fat people buying mayonnaise" - me too!!

I can so relate to this post. I grew up eating mostly things my grandparents grew themselves; it is so tough to eat things that came from who knows where and have who knows what in them.

Amanda said...

I, too, am the crazy bag lady. (I'm just now getting to read your archive meme.)