Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Retrospect

I wish I had time for a longer post but to summarize I'm going to say

  • I think I might look back on the year it took me to write my dissertation (from husband's post doc city) as one of the best years of my life

  • On my drive home today I was realizing that all the times my husband ignored me and passed up fun trips while working on his dissertation were in vain. He now isn't going to study what was so important to him for 7 years and all he has is a very sad memory of our time in dissertation state, and I have some sad stories about how he never wanted to have fun.
Comme si, comme sa
We just have to live in the now.

3 comments:

ScienceGirl said...

"We just have to live in the now."

I should put that on my wall. Hope that longer post is on its way when you get a chance!

EcoGeoFemme said...

Dude, you need to write some more about this. I thought you didn't like post doc city. Or do you mean that it looks good in comparison to the rest? How sad, if that's what you meant.

Shortly after we moved in together, EGM's sister visited from Far Off Land for a few weeks. EGM was so obsessed with finishing a particular project that he even worked some of the weekends while she was here. I was livid that he squandered his time with her. That project is still not finished -- what a waste it was to work on it instead of spending precious time with his sister! That was a good lesson though. I've never let him forget it. He doesn't do that sort of thing anymore.

Jennie said...

Not so much post doc city but the chance to just write and only write and not have any other obligations. I feel now my life is torn in so many directions and I miss being that focused. But yes there are parts about the time in my life I don't miss . . . lack of friends and warm weather and so much writing :) And I would have never met you if I never went there!