Friday, June 13, 2008

It is Official!

At 10am Friday the 27th I will be defending my dissertation.

I was sweating a little because my outside committee member needed to book his plane ticket but the chair of the committee was out of town. The outside committee member went ahead and started a dialog about a day and time and my adviser said let's go with this day and time even though the chair had never responded to the e-mails. Well the chair e-mailed this morning (or last night) and said sorry she hadn't responded and that the time worked for her. Yeah!!
Now, as long as I pass I can go to the West Coast a happy person.

------------------------------------
Again, thanks for the comments. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the co-authors need to approve a manuscript before submission (silly husband).

I do think part of my funk is working from home in the Midwest. I don't think all of it is due to being away from the department. I think department activities would suck up time and possible make me take longer. However, I do miss social interactions. So I think missing the department would be ok if I had more friends in this area to hang out with. This is why I talk EcoGeoFemme's ear off every time we meet for lunch.

And I should get more excited about new projects. Good idea. I don't know what I'll be doing when we move and there are no positions right now I'm excited about but I should just dive back into the literature and see what's hot. Maybe read the -ology of where I will be living.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! Glad it all worked out!

Mad Hatter said...

Congratulations on having a defense date!!!! :-)

Unbalanced Reaction said...

YAY! Congrats! N.A. is defending on that day as well, so I will be sending you some happy thoughts at the same time. :)

Psych Post Doc said...

yay for a defense date! congratulations.

Anonymous said...

congrats on a defense date, yay! almost there!!

ScienceGirl said...

Wow, congrats on the date! And Good Luck!!!

Kay Whitmer said...

I had almost the same experience with the chair of my committee, only that he didn't email for more than a few weeks! But the defense date was really worth waiting for. I'd love to know what your thesis is about. Hope the defense went smoothly.