Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Title Unknown

I just saw on Amanda's blog this list and, like herself, was surprised to see myself on it. A little hint of guilt hit me, as I have not written very many substantial post since finishing my dissertation and starting my consulting job. With great guilt comes great ideas . . . . so I thought maybe the readers could post ideas in the comment list about what you'd like to hear about. Maybe a question I left unanswered in another post, maybe you have some questions about my job, and maybe, well I have no idea-which is why I'm asking for help.

For now here are a few updates on my home front.

-The day my husband started his job* I found out everyone in my company is taking a 10% pay cut. I'm happy no one in my company was laid off-yet I was under the impression that I would be getting a raise in 6-12 months. *Sigh* Looking on the bright side I am very grateful to have a job.

*My husband's job is as an environmental compliance inspector with the City we live in. It is a temp, part-time position but the full time position is now open to non-city employees. We are crossing our fingers for the full time position for him. His background is in mineral physics, having both a PhD and Post-Doc experience. He had to follow up about this job and when he talked to the hiring manager they said they saw his application and thought it was a mistake, as he is way overqualified for the job. Then during his interview the hiring manager just kept asking him if he really wanted this job.

-I've been able to work in my town these past two weeks and not commute the 1.5 hours each way to the main office. Life has been great.

-The big boss in on vacation in Chile and he keeps checking and responding to e-mails. Enjoy your vacation already!

-Husband and I have been sick. I am much less sick than him and hope to keep my sickness to a minimum.

-I had to work this week-end, despite asking for it off, and had made plans to see my family/friends that I didn't get to see over the holidays. We were suppose to have the storm of the season but it was a big disappointment. Although, much needed rain.

3 comments:

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

Did you finish all the corrections for your Thesis? That's one (odd) question. What's your best tip/trick/idea for getting through grad school? Ok, that's all I can think of right now.

Psych Post Doc said...

This economy sucks, glad you have a job still even if the raise doesn't materialize.

Good luck to your husband for the full-time position.

Let's see... why don't you tell us about being a consultant? What are the pros and cons (other than the crazy commute)? Are there any things about the job that surprise you? In a good way or a bad way? Do you think you'd want to do this long term?

ScienceGirl said...

How is the transition out of the grad student/postdoc stage treating you? Are you still enjoying living back home?