Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Studying contaminants of perfectionism in my thesis adviser.

I love Janus Professor's idea for my dissertation title. I wanted to share it with everyone, i.e. the title of this post. I laughed out loud.

I also wanted to thank everyone who commented on my last two posts. It helps to have a support system out there on the internets'.

Also, re: JP's comment. My adviser does care a lot about my research. At times when I get depressed I think, well, at least one more person cares about this data, a lot!

My adviser has been very supportive this past week. Sunday night we e-mailed back and forth. To summarize, I told him more of my despair and that I was wondering how much of all this was worth it.
He said that working away from the department must be more difficult that we initially suspected.
No, I said, it's the lack of knowing where the end is that's depressing.

After threatening (in so many words) to quit I get two manuscript back this week!! Yeah!
We just finished our weekly meeting, via Skype, and only had time to talk about one of the manuscripts until he had to go to another meeting. I wanted to discuss more about our e-mails and talk about meeting my deadline again but we didn't get to that. I may call him later this week.

The first thing I said in our meeting was, "wow you have been busy. Thank you for reading so much."
At the end of the meeting I asked what he was going to read next. He is afraid to go back to the manuscript that I freaked out about (that set off the sunday e-mails), so he's reading another chapter that he hasn't read yet. Once he's read this he will actually have read all my chapters. This is great.
I'm feeling more confident about meeting my June 6th deadline of submitting to my committee. I think my adviser might not be satisfied with all my chapters by then but seeing that he can give me more comments after the defense I'll feel confident putting something together for the committee.

I also feel like I have a good list of things to do now. Previously I would have one or two things and mostly be waiting for comments from him.

Today is a good day.

5 comments:

EcoGeoFemme said...

Terrific!

Amanda said...

Excellent! It sounds like things are moving along much, much better than before!

Anonymous said...

glad things seem to be going well!

Mad Hatter said...

"...it's the lack of knowing where the end is that's depressing."

I had exactly the same problem right before my defense. It seemed like every time I had a meeting with my advisor, he would change his mind about what experiments I had to do to finish. So frustrating! But it's great that you had a good conversation with your advisor. Good luck!

Edna Valdez said...

Every student who is working on their thesis really needs to have advisors or supervisors on their side. That way, they have someone to run to if they face a blank wall, just like you. They can help with thesis writing than your think even if they criticize and revise your paper a lot. That is their way to let you see what can be done and improve your thesis paper.